If you are reading this, you are not the only one. There are countless colleges out there trying to woo students with visual marketing strategies, especially by way of virtual tours. So, if you are wondering how to make a college virtual tour engaging, remember that honesty, genuineness, and storytelling are certain key elements that go a long way. Of course, you might need professional guidance too, more so if you are new to virtual tours. But the best part is that no matter how much time, energy or money (it won’t cost and arm and a leg) you invest in it, the pay-off will be impressive. So, read on to know about what makes a virtual tour engaging.
- Getting the basics right – If you want your virtual tour to stand out from the competition, make sure you are using the right tools and techniques. Blurry or shaky shots, background noise, poor lighting and wrong angles are some of the things that can go wrong with a tour. So, getting professional help is recommended (just using a tripod is not enough). Experts also know how to use the right editing software to make your campus look appealing and yet realistic. Plus, you should decide the script beforehand – for instance, how you want to highlight important statistics or facts, how much text you wish to impose on the visuals, where you want to pause during the voiceover (for effect) and so on.
- Targeting both students and parents – This is one of the top things that make a college virtual tour smashing. Try and gauge what students and their parents are interested in or want to know (they are often different) and then plan your tour content. While a student might want to know how well your basketball team does, their parents might be keen on the residential facilities or placement opportunities. Or students might wonder if you offer unique majors, while parents might care equally about the fees or financial aid. So, try to address both their concerns.
Read – 5 Ways To Improve Your College’s Student Retention
- Storytelling – College virtual tours are not just about highlighting swanky gyms, enormous pools, beautiful lawns and such. Potential students want to know what drives you as an institution and how you care for those who enter your hallowed halls. So, talking a little about the history of your college, how you grew, things you believe in, your vision and your community involvement can earn you brownie points. Featuring short videos of current and past students explaining why they love your institution and how it has helped them can strike an emotional note. If you are showing classrooms, laboratories or the games room, keep it as natural as possible, so that students can imagine what their life will be like.
- Giving VR due importance – By embedding a button for virtual reality in your tour, you can allow students with VR headsets to get a more exciting look and feel of your college. When they explore the nooks and crannies of your buildings, they will feel more engaged and spend more time on your website or social media pages. And the more time they spend on these, the more likely they will be to convert (or apply). Apart from that, make it easy to navigate and zoom.
- Making communication easy – Another way to make a college virtual smashing is by including buttons for calling, messaging or chatting with the right people in your institution. Potential applicants might want to get in touch with a faculty member, someone in the admissions department or a student counsellor before making a decision. You can also let them schedule video calls for more credibility and to forge a bond. Or let them leave their contact info, so you can get back via text, call or email.
Read – 5 Ways Virtual Tours Can Power Up Your Campus Recruitment Strategy
- Increasing visibility of the tour – Once you create a virtual tour, upload it on your website’s landing page, admissions page, contact page, and pages for majors and facilities. This way, site visitors will have little chance to miss it. Also share the tour on your social media pages, brochure and marketing emails. Since your target audience is Gen Z, you have a better chance of reeling them in on platforms that they frequent, like Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn. Make sure you communicate promptly through all these channels, to get maximum applications.
Now that you have a fair idea about how to make a college virtual tour smashing, get started. Check out what your competitors are doing and gather a few ideas that you like the most. And then, to make the process absolutely stress-free, get in touch with us at email@example.com. We will design your dream tour in no time.