Did you know that the human brain can process visuals 60,000 times faster than text? So, it’s not really surprising that we tend to remember what we see on videos more than what we read in books. In other words, visual storytelling is a powerful marketing tool that businesses can use to convey their message effectively, without pushing their products into customer’s face. And when we say businesses, we mean colleges and universities too. The number of students who will apply to your institution will depend on how appealing, informative and modern your website is. And using visuals to weave a compelling story is the best way to go about it.
However, keep these rules in mind:
- If you can show, why tell? – One of the top visual storytelling tips is to use visuals instead of text wherever possible. Your site visitor will pick up the information faster. For example, if you have a beautiful campus, don’t describe it. Use a virtual tour instead, and offer an immersive, engaging and realistic experience to students.
- Make an impression quickly –Students have very little attention span when they are exploring different university websites, as they are in a hurry to find the perfect place for the next four years of their life. So, the first image or video they see on your website should get them hooked instantly and make a favorable impression. This is why one of the best visual storytelling ideas is to put up a virtual tour that takes them across the grounds, through the halls, inside the cafeteria and more.
Read – How Virtual College Tours are Changing the Student Recruitment Game
- Give your story a beginning, middle and an end – The art of visual storytelling for colleges requires you to follow a certain narrative arc. Whether you are using a series of images, videos or virtual tours, they shouldn’t be random or disconnected. So, craft a cohesive story that helps the student visualize his or her journey from their first day to graduation. Incorporate elements of excitement or suspense wherever you can, like awards they can win in sports or the scholarships they can strive for in different courses.
- Show real people – One of the crucial visual storytelling rules is to show actual people (students and teaching staff in this case) in images or videos so that candidates can relate with your college or university better. For instance, showing a group of happy students playing baseball will build their trust better than showing an empty field.
- Include wow factors – Having unique visual storytelling ideas always helps, as they motivate students to pick your university over others. For example, if you are creating a virtual tour for your website, make sure it evokes emotions like happiness, hope, and excitement. If your tour focuses on details like the dishes your cafeteria serves or the books your library houses, it will connect better with the students. Or, candid images of graduating students with their parents might evoke hope.
- Keep it short and sweet – Using visual storytelling for your university website means you have to avoid distractions, so that site visitors can stay focused. Don’t throw in too many details that are hard to remember and highlight the most important aspects instead.
So, keep the above visual storytelling tips in mind to strengthen your university’s online presence. At present, this is the best way to attract potential candidates and get them to apply to your courses even if they are staying inside to beat the pandemic. And if you are not sure how to get started with visual storytelling or can’t decide on the right format, email us at email@example.com.
Must Read – Get Your College the Attention It deserves with a Custom Virtual Tour
If you are reading this, you are already aware that content marketing can boost your website’s organic traffic and generate more leads than paid advertising, when done right. However, with countless brands joining the bandwagon of content marketing, the field has become immensely competitive. So, to stand out, you need a smart visual content strategy. Why? Because when textual content is combined with relevant and attractive visuals, readers recall 65% of it even 3 days later. This means that visuals lead to better brand awareness and website traffic, which can lead to more conversions or sales. In other words, if you want to get greater returns by investing in content marketing, you cannot ignore visuals.
how exactly should you use visual content in business to get better ROI?
Read on to find out.
types of visual content should you use?
are some ways in which you can include visuals in your content to address
different needs and pain points of your prospective or current buyers.
- Charts and graphs for more information – A market research study showed how more people consume content that incorporates charts and graphs rather than only decorative images. This is because charts and graphs are data-rich visual content and drive the point home more easily than just words.
- Photos that appeal – Whether you wish to promote a food, travel or healthcare blog or website, well-shot, bright and crisp images are a good bet. Make sure they are relevant and choose the feature image with extra care. If you don’t have your own photos, pick stock photos that your audience can relate with, and not something generic. This will ensure better recall.
- Infographics for quick reading – Did you know that blogs with infographics get 12% more traffic than those without? The use of clean and relatable images, bold colors and crisp text make infographics easy to consume quickly. Also use catchy titles, include important statistics, and make it easy to share.
- Videos and virtual tours for realistic experiences – Globally,more than 50% marketers say that videos bring the maximum ROI. People can connect better with your brand through a video and remember your products more. Plus, a video that evokes powerful emotions can go viral too. Among visual content ideas, 360 degree virtual tours are also becoming popular as they let you explore a property without actually visiting it. Hotels, cafes, spas, colleges, gyms and golf courses can use these to attract more potential customers and engage them. You can add a virtual tour to your Google My Business listing to get more traffic.
can you guide the buyer journey with visuals?
consideration and decision are the three major stages of a prospective buyer’s
journey. So, at each stage, your visual content needs to address his mindset
- For instance, during the awareness stage,
your target reader or site visitor might not be able to identify what exactly
his problem is or what he needs a solution for. So, blog posts rich in images
or infographics might be helpful.
- Once your site visitor has identified his
problem, he will be looking for all possible solutions. So, during the consideration
stage, guides, case studies, whitepapers and e-books can help you get his
attention and establish your position as an industry leader who offers the best
solution. All such content formats should contain images, graphs and videos
- During the decision stage, you can use
product reviews or product comparisons that are image-rich to convince a site
visitor to convert. A virtual tour, demo video or a how-to guide with
screenshots of every step of using a particular product might help too.
All in all, to boost your online presence, search engine ranking and attract more traffic and leads, you need to embrace visual content marketing. Consistent efforts will increase your brand value and credibility, improve sales, expand your loyalty base and enhance ROI. Need help to come up with attractive and impactful visual content? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The human brain can process visual information 60,000 times faster than simple text. Surprised? Well, if you think about it, you can indeed remember photographs or videos better than just words. This is the reason why, when a brand puts up a funny or emotional video online, people tend to connect or relate with it better. So, if businesses wish to survive an intensely competitive marketplace (physical or digital), visual marketing is the way to go.
Popular Content Types for Visual Marketing
marketing essentially refers to the use of images, drawings, logos or symbols,
posters and videos, to send your brand message across. Different visual mediums
can be used to narrate your brand’s story, vision, and how you can help
potential customers. Here is a look at the most popular visual marketing content
- Photography – Be it a website, blog, online magazine, e-book, e-store, Google business listing or physical marketing material, high quality photographs can make a world of difference. A picture that is well-shot, color-balanced and perfectly touched up, can say more than a thousand words. 360 degree or panoramic photos are especially popular nowadays.
Read – The Top 4 Predictions for the Future of Photography
- Videography – When you add action and emotion to pictures intelligently, you get videos that evoke happiness, curiosity, and love. Since 90% of the information processed by a brain is visual, brands are embracing video marketing to engage their target audience and ensure better recall.
- Virtual tours – Businesses likehotels,eateries, spas, gymnasiums, academic institutions and even sports centers can use virtual tours to provide an interactive and engaging experience to prospective customers. These tours allow you to explore every corner of the establishment, from floor to ceiling to décor theme and furniture to lighting and windows. This realistic experience helps customers to choose easily.
Advantages of Visual Marketing
embracing visual marketing, a business can benefit in the following ways:
- Better and organic website traffic – Relevant and good quality visuals can attract more visitors to a site and also compel them to linger and read the associated text. Infographics and videos get more visitors too, as they are visually rich.
- Search engine ranking improves – Bright, crisp, and appealing visuals can make your web or blog content seem more relevant and useful. And more people will be drawn to it, thus making your website more important in the eyes of search engine algorithms. Consequently, you will rank higher.
- Easy and fast brand messaging – Imagescan talk volumes about your brand value, image and mission, even if the visitor doesn’t read the text. Visuals that highlight product benefits or features are especially useful.
Read – How to Maximize Exposure for Your Brand by Marketing Your 360 Virtual Tour
- Greater brand recall and audience engagement – Visualmarketing not only improves brand awareness, but also helps your target audience to recall product features and advantages better. It has been noticed that when people read something that includes images, they can recall more than 60% of it. However, just hearing about something leads to 10% recall after a couple of days.
- Increased shareability on social media – Have younoticed how more people tend to read social media posts that contain images rather than those that are just text-heavy? Naturally, they end up sharing text-heavy posts less too. So, incorporating memes, images or videos is essential while marketing your brand on social channels.
- Improves decision-making ability – When brands use visual mediums like videos, virtual tours, images or infographics, the viewer tends to feel an emotional connect. Plus, he or she understands the brand or its products more comprehensively. This pushes the viewer to make a buying decision more often.
- Exploring new markets will be easier – Sinceimages have no language barrier, you can use these to appeal to markets in other countries. Of course, your website will have a translation option, but pictures can encourage viewers to consider trying your product or service.
To wrap up, humans have an average attention span of 8 seconds, and brands can make the right move by using visual marketing to grab attention and improve conversions. To get help with photography, videography or virtual tours, send an email to email@example.com.
Read Also – Does Your Business Need a Virtual Tour?